WELCOME TO NNCA.ORG
Updated & Improved Publications page. Please login at Members Login and take a look at the updated Publications Page. New additions include information and downloadable forms for the Oral History and Memorabilia projects.
NNCA Website Tours are now available on this Home Page, please click on the link for an introduction to both the Public Page and the Dues ePay Tour. Login to view Website Tour on the Publications Page.
Greetings from the NNCA President
Greetings to all,
It was September, 2003. The skies were cloudy; the day was dreary, cool and rainy. The wind was gusting at 40 miles an hour as Hurricane Isabel prepared to introduce herself to coastal Virginia. At Portsmouth Naval Hospital, preparations began a week earlier, schedules were formed, the control center was established, staff was on alert and ready to handle whatever Isabel threw at us.
It was anticipated that Isabel would make landfall off the Outer Banks of North Carolina, which proved to be accurate. In fact, during the storm, Hatteras Island was breached, creating what is now known as Isabel Inlet.
During the Director’s meeting a few days before Isabel made her arrival, Admiral Burkhard asked our opinion of whether or not to bring in all the women expected to deliver on or around the middle of September. At the time, I was the Senior Nurse Executive and Nurse Researcher. When the judgment around the table was mixed, Admiral Burkhard asked me to review the literature to determine if there was any significant correlation between the drop in atmospheric pressure that routinely occurs before a major storm and deliveries.
Who We Are….
Established in 1987, the Navy Nurse Corps Association is a non-profit, national organization dedicated to bringing Navy Nurses together. We are an association for caring and sharing, where what matters most is not rank, but being, or having been, a Navy Nurse. Any Navy Nurse Corps Officer, whether Active Duty, Reserves, Retired, or Honorably Discharged, may join the NNCA.
- Our Mission — Learn about the NNCA’s mandate
- History — The history of the Navy Nurse Corps
- Navy Nurse Corps Newsletter July-August 2017
- Join or Renew your membership Online
- Download Application
- See if there is a NNCA chapter close to you!
- New! WMANNCA Scholarship Programs 2018 Need Financial Help for Graduate School? Three WMANNCA Chapter Nursing Scholarships will be offered to three Navy Nurses, active duty (non DUINS), reserve component, retired or former Navy Nurses, to continue their studies for an advanced graduate degree in Nursing. A $1,000 scholarship will be awarded to each winner. The applicant must live or work in the WMANNCA AOR (Maryland, Northern Virginia, West Virginia, Pennsylvania, New Jersey, Delaware or the District of Columbia. Deadline for submission is April 2, 2018! CLICK HERE to download the Guidelines and Application materials.
- FNNCA Scholarship Programs – Scholarships of $1500 are being offered to undergraduate nursing students and/or Registered Nurses in an accredited baccalaureate degree in nursing program or for students who are pursuing a graduate degree in nursing. Recipients of scholarships will be selected by the Florida Navy Nurse Corps Association Scholarship Committee. The award will go directly to the recipient. We will award 2 scholarships in this category for 2017. Application deadline November 16, 2017. . CLICK HERE to download Application
- Navy Nurse Oral Histories Vietnam Video – NNCA Southern California History Committee has put together a video of oral histories as recorded by Navy Nurse Corps Officers who served in Vietnam. Click Here
- Download Printable/Mail-in 2018 NNCA Awards Nomination Form. Click Here
- 2018 NNCA Reunion “Back to Sea” information flyer. Hosted by the Northwest Chapter of the NNCA. More Information….
- 2018 NNCA Reunion Cruise “Back to Sea” Planning Survey. Please complete the attached survey if you are considering attending the “Back to Sea” Reunion. The Northwest Chapter requests this information for planning purposes. Click here for Survey
- Exploration of Rape Myths Among Former Military Professionals Survey, I am an active duty Service Member working on my doctorate in Public Health at East Tennessee State University (ETSU). My research study is entitled, “Exploration of Rape Myths Among Former Military Professionals” and I am focusing on beliefs surrounding rape myths. The purpose of this project is to raise awareness, reduce stigma associated with sexual violence, dispel false rape myths by enhancing knowledge, and improve the health status of sexual violence survivors. This is a brief survey for former active duty Service Members/Veterans. The survey is short (less than 10 minutes), voluntary, anonymous, and approved by the ETSU Institutional Review Board. Please click here to begin the survey.
- Eligibility for Burial in a VA National Cemetery – The Department of Veterans Affairs has launched a new program, Veterans Pre Need Burial Eligibility Determination that will greatly assist Veterans and their families. This program can be found at http://www.cem.va.gov/pre-need/ , download Pre-Need Application, Pre-Need Fact Sheet.
- Virtual Museum Help – Are you having trouble finding items in the Virtual Museum? Click Here to download a “Key Word” list that will help you find items quicker.
- Oral History Project – Oral History Project transcripts are now available on the Publications Page of the Members site. There are a total of 43 transcripts available for your reading. Log in to Members Site and click on Publications. You will see an Icon for Oral History Project. You can search All transcripts or Individually by name. A Help button is also available. Log In
- NNCA is now a Supportive Associate with The DAISY Foundation. DAISY was created to celebrate nurses who provide extraordinary compassionate and skillful care. Read More….
- 2016 NNCA Awards Recipients. Read More….
- Military Nursing Books – An annotated bibliography of books written by military nurses while serving in wartime, Ellen K. Duvall, member at large, NNCA.
- Nurse Veterans Wanted for a Research Study. Researchers from Madigan Army Medical Center are seeking former military nurses, with deployment experience in a theater of war, to participate. For more information click Research Study.
- NNCA 2015 Reunion Photo Album — The NNCA 2015 Reunion Album is now available on NNCA.org. To view the album click on the flickr icon on the home page and then click on Albums.
Author Commander Frances Omori, honors these unsung heroes of the Korean War through stories, photographs, historical documents, and the words of grateful patients. She provides a memorable mosaic of the navy nurses’ healing compassion amid the brutality of war. Click here for more information.
In 1991, Kay Thompson Baxter’s adult children asked her to write her memoir. They wanted to know more about their mother’s life growing up on a farm in the Piedmont region of North Carolina and her experiences as a United States Navy Nurse during World War II. Click here for more information.